Forum Title: Roofer Faces Tough Odds After Falling In Tar Vat
This is something no one wants to see happen. A roofer who was working on a one story flat roof commercial building was throwing some debris onto the ground, when he slipped on the edge near the gutter and fell toward the vat. He tried to land top of the vat, but slipped and went backwards into the tar. He was covered in it except for one of his legs.Quote: A roofer who slipped into a vat of hot tar is in an induced coma and faces months of surgeries and rehabilitation, his son says.‚ÄúHe‚s barely hanging on,‚Äù said Aaron Madden of his father, Daniel Madden. The elder Madden, 66, is in critical condition in the burn unit at Mercy Hospital St. Louis. He suffered third-degree burns from his waist up after falling into the tar on the afternoon of Aug. 6 at a worksite in University City. Aaron Madden, 40, said his father has been a roofer for more than four decades. Dan Madden, of Overland, specializes in covering flat roofs with tar. As part of the business, he owns a four-wheeled, propane-fired tar kettle with a 450-gallon capacity that keeps the tar at nearly 600 degrees. Aaron Madden said they were working on a one-story flat roof of a commercial building in the 7900 block of Olive Street. The father had been mopping tar on the roof and moved to throw some debris onto the ground. But he slipped on the edge near the gutter and fell toward the kettle. ‚ÄúHe tried to land on the metal top, but his foot slipped and he went in a sitting backward position into the tar,‚Äù the son said. ‚ÄúHe was covered in it except for one leg.‚Äù He and a co-worker pulled Dan Madden out of the kettle and doused him with water. Aaron Madden said paramedics for Gateway Ambulance cut away Dan Madden‚s clothes before they rushed him to Mercy. University City firefighters assisted on the scene, said Chief Adam Long. Aaron Madden, of Breckenridge Hills, has his own small roofing company but often works with his father. The son also is a member of Bricklayers Local 1. Aaron Madden said he was a young boy when he was burned during a fire at the family home in Breckenridge Hills and was treated at Mercy, then known as St. John‚s Mercy Medical Center. ‚ÄúIt‚s a strange fate to be standing there with him just like he did for me,‚Äù Aaron Madden said. ‚ÄúWe‚re in the same place, but in different shoes.‚Äù He said he believed contractor insurance would cover part of his father‚s care. Patricia King, Dan Madden‚s wife, set upa GoFundMe accountto help raise money for the medical bills. Aaron Madden said doctors have said that, if his father recovers, he will probably be in the hospital until at least Christmas. Source
Category: Roofing Post By: JANE BROOKS (Springfield, OR), 01/05/2018

I can't even imagine what this guy must be going through. He must have been in such unbearable pain when it happened. This is why you have to be so careful at alltimes when you're on a roof. This is just so sad to hear something like this.

- SCOTT ALLEN (Bellflower, CA), 03/14/2018

This was a tough story to read. I've had a small amount of hot tar splash on me and it hurt like hell. I can't even think of what it would feel like to fall in a vat.

- RENE PAUL (Eagan, MN), 04/05/2018

This has to be one of the worst things that could happento you as a roofer. I mean the pain alone would put you into shock. I can see why they induced a coma. I just hope this guy pulls through.

- NATALIE PARKS (Nashville, TN), 04/13/2018

Assistance, Support & Advice For Homeowners

requestaquote Get Free Quotes callnow 888-610-8624